Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Crescent Roll Challenge Part 2 - Gummy Bears

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved Pillsbury crescent rolls.  They hold so many memories for me, in particular during holiday meals.  With my new found interest in baking, my love of candy, and my fondness for Pillsbury crescent rolls, I've decided to do a little experiment.  Each day this week I'm going to bake a Pillsbury crescent roll filled with a different sweet filling.  Some are very conventional, others... well not so much.
With this second Pillsbury crescent roll filling, I figured I'd just go for the ultimate candy filling, gummy bears. I have to admit, part of the fun of making this particular crescent roll was in how my imagination played out a story of gummy bears being captured and then baked alive in a crescent roll.  To be fair to my gummy bears, I made sure I took one of each colour.
This has to be one of the messiest crescent rolls I've ever baked in my life.  I was very careful to seal up the edges, but it did nothing.  The gummy stuff oozed out of the sides and created a pretty good mess.  Fortunately I've learned with melted gummies that it's better to wait for it to cool before you try cleaning it up.  As the goo cools, it becomes less sticky, more solid, and you can pretty much just peel it off your counter.  The flavour of the crescent roll wasn't bad, I think if I was to do this again, I'd probably just use one colour at a time.

CC

No comments: