Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dolma in a Can

One of the things that most Greek cooks brag about is the freshness of their food.  Dolma is a great example of that, Dolma is a dish made from grape leaves wrapped around rice.  I can't tell you how many old Greek ladies have offered to make me fresh Dolma.  I've even been asked to come to someones house, pick the grape leaves myself, and then make the Dolma.  So I assumed that this was one of those foods that had to be made fresh, or it wouldn't work.  Well apparently I'm wrong.
I went to the local grocery stores and I discovered that there are several companies offering canned Dolma.  So I wondered, does it really have to be fresh to be tasty, or will it taste fine after sitting in a can for a few weeks?  You'd think that the answer would be obvious, but strangely enough...
These canned Dolma tasted really great.  I can honestly tell you that I've eaten fresh Dolma that tastes a lot better than the canned stuff.  Having said that I haven't eaten them side by side, but really this canned variety is really tasty.

CC

No comments: