Friday, October 31, 2014

Candy In The Media

All this month on the Candy In The Media segment of the Candy Critic blog we're going to look at candy themed games for tablets.  All of the games will be tested on my Nexus 7 tablet running Android Kit Kat.  Keep in mind that I'm not really a gamer, so my past experience is pretty minimal.  I'll mainly be focusing on how easy it is to play, how it incorporates candy, and any tech issues that may come up.  We welcome your suggestions for games you think we should try out on future posts.
As far as candy themed games go, Candy Transport is fairly average.  It's the kind of game I can play for about 10 minutes, but after that I'm left bored or frustrated.  Theme wise it's pretty good, lots of mouth watering candies to look at and lots of fun characters to check out. The plot of the game is to load your truck up with all kinds of candies.  Each candy is a different size and shape, thus making it challenging to balance your load.  Then you have to drive over a series of bumps and hills without losing any of your candy load.  Lose too much and you're out.
The frustrating part of this game comes from the way the candy is randomly dumped into your truck.  Sometimes it falls into a nice neat pile, other times most of it falls out of your truck before you even start.  You can move your truck around when you're loading up, but I still get the sense that it's fairly random.  I was also kind of frustrated that after I saved up for a new bigger truck, the back end of it was tilted and it allowed candy to spill out of my truck when I went up hill.  The improvement was a little better, but considering I saved up for the most expensive truck, it wasn't worth it.
One of my favorite parts of this game came about whenever you finished a level.  At the end of each level you're given a congratulations from a random candy guy, and it was followed by a "Did you know?" candy fact.  These facts are utterly ridiculous, but really fun. Most of them would give very unrealistic praise to various candies.  I warmed up to this game fairly quickly, after a while I got bored of it, but I was still able to pick it up now and again and enjoy it for a short period.

CC

No comments: