Wednesday, November 05, 2014

A Cool Candy Thing

There's a lot of talk these days about gender and toys (particularly video games).  While women suffer the brunt of many of these gender relating products, I often find myself suffering as well.  Many candy themed items seem to be geared towards girls. Take a look at today's Cool Candy Thing for example.  It's a great little chocolate melting machine, and it comes with a set of molds wrappers, and fun stickers.  On a technical level it's very effective, and it looks like a lot of fun.  The problem is the fact that it's obviously designed to fit into a girls stereotype.  The pot is bright pink, all of the molds are the shape of cute little flowers, kissy lips, and other "girl" related things. And the stickers have slogans like "BFF", "Love" and some have cute little animal faces. It just seems like this toy isn't designed for my male ego.
Then I thought about it for a little while, maybe the problem is mine.  I like flowers, and I like getting kissed, I even like the colour pink.  Maybe the problem is that I immediately associate this with being a girls toy (although the girl on the box doesn't help, also the fact that it asks for Mom's help, and not Dad's), instead of imagining making these fun shaped chocolates myself.  So I've changed my mind, I'm not going to protest this toy, instead I'm going to put it on my Christmas list.  And if Santa is good enough to give me one, I'll post all kinds of fun pictures of me and my chocolaty creations.  This isn't a girls toy, it's a pink toy, and those aren't girly stickers and molds, they're whimsical and I can be whimsical too!

CC

No comments: