Thursday, July 14, 2022

Making Treats and Beasts - Rough, Design and Finished Inks

After finally coming up with a concept for an alphabet book, treats and beasts, I had to draw each and every creature and snack. I started each drawing with a very rough pencil sketch. I referenced the animals a great deal from photos online. I never traced anything, but I would have pages on a Google search open throughout most of the sketching process. I would fixate on a few particular images, but I tried to take bits and pieces from each.

Rather than have to erase all my rough pencil lines, I used animation paper and I would then trace out a cleaner version of my sketch onto another piece of paper. The animation paper would allow me to trace the other image easily since I had animation pegs to keep both drawings lined up. Next I would use a few inking tools, mostly sharpy pens and fine liners, and I would start inking my drawings.

I probably worked on the first two or three drawings at the same time when it came to inking. As I progressed I would add a new detail to one drawing and then go back to the others and add the same kind of detail. I love this stage of making art because it allows me to watch television and movies while working. Eventually I discovered the amount of detail I wanted to add without overworking the drawing.

This was probably the longest process of making this book. It was also the most Zen of them of them all. I could just sit and doodle away while watching television. I should also mention that at this point I had not actually decided that this was going to be an actual printed book. My thoughts were that I would just post these pictures online and share them with my friends.

The next phase is when that changed.

Pick up your own copy of the book Treats and Beasts right now on Amazon.

CC

No comments: