Thursday, November 30, 2023

My Cake Confession

 


I have a confession to make, I think my favourite cake is actually carrot cake. This isn't really as simple as it sounds, and it's something I've just realized, but I need to get it off of my chest. I made this discovery about myself while eating lunch at a Cheesecake Factory. We were on vacation and we had eaten several times at the Cheesecake Factory and each time I had tried out a new cheesecake. The thing is, I kept seeing that they offered other cakes as well, Including a carrot cake. I kept telling Allison that some time I should try one of their non-cheesecake choices, and she just became more and more impatient as each time we visited I would just get cheesecake. On our last day I told her that barring any amazing cheesecake choice, I was going to get the carrot cake. 

There were no other cheesecakes that really appealed to me, and I wanted something a little lighter than a brick of cheesecake, so I finally decided to get it. I should explain why I chose the carrot cake over their chocolate cake or one of their other desserts. Carrot cake often comes with a cream cheese icing, I figured that a place that sold cheesecakes would probably have a killer cream cheese frosting. I was also fond of many carrot cakes at other restaurants we've gone to in the past. At one place it actually became my go to cake so much that I once requested one for my birthday. So it only made sense that for this non-cheesecake experiment I would go for the carrot cake.

As I was eating it, and enjoying it a lot, I made the realization that carrot cake might be my favourite cake. There are a few stipulations to this claim however. Most importantly, I'm not saying that the best cake I've ever eaten in my life was a carrot cake. While I can't really place the best cake I've ever eaten, I'm assuming it's likely a chocolate cake. I'm also not saying that I will from now on only order carrot cakes when available. Seeing as I review sweet things, you would imagine that variety when it comes to desserts is important to me, so I'm most likely to try something new. I'm also more likely to try something if the restaurant or bakery has a specialty.

What I'm saying is this, in my opinion the carrot cake is the safest cake to order at any restaurant or bakery. I've tasted carrot cakes that are cheap and I've tasted fancy and wonderful hand made carrot cakes, and they're always good. The cheap ones are different than the more expensive ones, but they're always good. So if I'm in a situation where the selection is really nothing that exciting, if I'm bored with what's on offer, or if the cakes are known to be rather low quality, I think carrot cake will be the cake I go for. It's consistently good all the time, maybe not the best, but never the worst. Every other kind of cake I've tried has fallen into the worst category at least once, but never carrot cake.

If you happen to not like carrot cake, I completely understand. The idea of a cake made of carrots is a little weird. Carrot cake often has dried fruit and even raisins which I understand many people don't like. I even understand that some people don't like the kinds of spices found in a carrot cake. I actually like all of the above, and I really love a good cream cheese icing. Carrot cake is just the taste and texture combination that works perfectly with my palette. 

No comments: