Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What’s the Ultimate Japanese Treat (Red Bean)?

I’m pretty sure that saying that red bean is the Ultimate Japanese Treat is somewhat true but not entirely accurate. I say this because as far as I can tell it’s not as much a treat on it’s own as it is a prime ingredient in some of the Japanese people’s favourite treats.


You can pretty much find Red Bean in just about any candy store large or small. If you go to 7-11 or if you go to one of the finer shops in Ginza you’re pretty much guaranteed to find something with red beans in it.

The strange thing is that I’ve never really just seen red beans on their own. It could be that I’m not looking in the right places, and I assure you that no matter how hard you look in Japan there are places you have not seen. I just wonder why a culture that puts red bean in just about everything doesn’t offer it widely on it’s own.
Maybe I’ll answer that question in the future, maybe I’ll learn that red bean is a great accessory like pepper on food, but when eaten alone can be a horrible experience.


CC

2 comments:

Jim said...

Red bean ice cream is great, I figure you’d like it too since you love all ice cream.

Chris Stewart said...

I do like it; I find the cream helps wet the pallet while the red bean dries you out. As a paste however I find it a little hard to take.