Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Mochi that I Like

A few years back a friend of mine invited Allison and myself to a Mochi festival here in Ottawa. For those that are unfamiliar with Mochi, it’s basically sticky rice that’s pounded into dough formed into, most often, little balls and consumed.I went to this festival with the best intentions, I left with an appreciation of what it takes to make Mochi but I really didn’t like eating it at all. Since then I’ve continued to sample Mochi whenever I can to try and understand it. In Japan I tried several varieties but still couldn’t get a handle on it at all.The other night I once again tried my hand at Mochi with these sesame covered and filled blobs of rice and finally I’ve discovered one I don’t mind. Now I wonder if the taste is growing on me or if they just need the sesame seeds to be palatable.

CC

No comments: