Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Best Pop Frozen

The other day I read an article all about Popsicles, the content of the article isn't important, but for some reason while reading the article I made a connection in my head.  When we think about frozen treats we tend to add the word "sicle" to the end of it, like cake-sicle, pie-sicle, etc.  So then what does the "pop" portion of "Popsicle" mean?  The first thing that came to mind was pop as in soda pop.  After doing a little researched I learned that the first Popsicle ever made was in fact an attempt to make a new flavour of soda pop.
So that got me thinking, why not take the frozen treat on a stick back to its roots, why not try and find out which flavour of soda pop tastes best frozen.  I've selected 4 different flavours, Cola because it's a classic flavour, 7 Up because I think a clear treat might be fun, Fanta because it's one of those great fruit sodas, and Yerani because I wanted to try something a little different.
Cola - I figured that I would try the cola Popsicle first because cola really is the benchmark of soda pops today.  The syrup did have a bit of a strange reaction in the freezer and tended to settle in the middle of the treat.  The carbonation is pretty much all gone, however it did leave bubble throughout the treat in particular on the outside edge.  The cola flavour is OK, and didn't really change that much.
7 Up -  Of all of the frozen soda pops I'm sampling, this one is surely the most unattractive.  Every time I see a clear or white frozen treat my mind instantly imagines that it will have no flavour at all.  Fortunately this frozen treat is full of flavour, and it also has a much better texture than the cola.  It could be because I got a generic cola, or it could be that 7up has a high carbonation, but it's really a light and airy ice.
Fanta - Of all of the soda pops selected for this experiment, Fanta is really the most juice like of them all.  In fact the carbonation of Fanta is so minimal it barely affected the texture of the ice treat at all, and if felt more like frozen juice than frozen soda pop.  The flavour of Fanta is also very juice like, more so than an Orange Crush or C-Plus.  As a frozen treat Fanta is fairly un-impressive, having said that it's also not disappointing either, so I guess it's best just to say that it's fine as a frozen treat.
I think I have some explaining to do.  I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of this particular treat and only realized it after I had already eaten it.  All I can say it that it looked exactly like the cola frozen treat, only with a pink base... Sorry
Yerani - Most of you probably have no idea what Yerani cola is, and frankly neither do I.  All I can say is that it's a cola coloured drink with a  light cola and slightly fruity taste.  I can also tell you that I'm not a big of it as a frozen treat.  The flavours are way too light and hard to detect, so all you can taste is frozen water and that's not good.

As it turns out, although soda pop was in fact the inspiration behind the "Popsicle", it's not always the best choice of flavour.  Some of these drinks did make for a fine treat, but I think the better bet is still juice.  However if you are looking for something a little different, or something that might make you feel a little nostalgic, why not try using pudding instead.

CC

No comments: