Thursday, September 29, 2011

Discount Cola, is Cheaper, But Is It Different?

So here we have two cans of store brand name cola.  Both made by Carrefour (a huge chain in Europe) both cola flavoured.  The difference?  One is labeled as "cola" the other is "discount".  The question, is there a difference between these two drinks?  The first answer I can tell you just from buying them.  The regular cola cost me 26 cents, the discount 25.  That's a pretty small margin of difference if you ask me.
The next test I decided to perform is the colour test.  The discount cola is much lighter than the regular cola. I'm not really sure what the means since I'm pretty sure the brown of cola is just an added colour.  So if this colour difference affects taste, I'm not sure.
Flavour is the most obvious difference, and the most important.  The regular cola was pretty much what you would expect from a can of cola.  I think the best way to describe it would be to say that it has a nice clean flavour with a slight caramel taste.
The discount cola on the other hand was very sweet.  The cola flavour wasn't as strong either, in fact the sweet flavour was much stronger than the cola flavour.  Without being able to test it out scientifically I'm thinking that the discount cola had a lot more sugar, while the regular cola had more caffeine.  I think this is a common trait of high energy "discount" drinks, more sugar, less caffeine/flavour.

CC

No comments: