Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Burnt Marshmallow Art - Faking Melted Marshmallow

Over the last few weeks I've started a new candy themed art project for a series of fine art photograph/mixed media piece called "Senses".  The theme of this piece is texture and marshmallows.  You can read about our past progress here and here.
 I'm now at the experimental part of my art piece. A large portion of this piece requires me to make a synthetic melted marshmallow that never degenerates.  If I use real marshmallow, in a few weeks it will get pretty gross.  I've decided to use acrylic paint mediums (gel medium, modeling paste, and a gloss varnish) and some white acrylic paint.
 The goal is to make a small amount to see if it dries looking like melted marshmallow.  The first thing I need to do is mix up the four elements adding more and more paint a varnish till it looks and feels like melted marshmallow.
By the time it dries I'm pretty happy with it.  Just to make sure I coated it in a layer of gloss varnish after it dried, but that came out too shiny.
I decided to melt a marshmallow in the microwave so I could compare it, but that didn't go well at all.  You really can't get the shine and stretch you want out of a microwaved marshmallow.  I've also learned that if you keep them in the microwave too long they go brown, kind of gross.
I've also spent a bit of time preparing the frame and backing papers.  I'm going to need them to be 100% ready for the next stage, burning the photograph.

CC

No comments: