Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Frozen treats I made myself

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I'm posting an article I wrote about freezing some of your favorite liquids, into frozen treats.
Summers coming... Actually this article was written in February with about two feet of snow outside my window, but I'm a little lazy, that and I really don't see any problem eating frozen treats all year round. When I was a kid I used to eat frozen treats before going skating because it would fool my body into thinking it was warmer outside. Sure I could have died of hypothermia but when you want to skate you'll do just about anything.

Rather than deal with the old and slightly melted treats that are left at my local store, I decided to do a bit of experimentation and try and create some frozen treats of my own. Some of these treats worked, others don't, either way I get a nice cool snack before building a great snowman outside.

Pudding Pop

Bill Cosby you're a great man, but unfortunately you weren't great enough to keep the pudding pop on the market. I'm not going to take this lying down though. I'll get myself a package of instant pudding, mix it up and freeze it myself. Guess what, it's exactly the same. Joy of Joys, Mr. Cosby I may not be able to watch you plug my frozen treats, but alas I can enjoy a super smooth pudding pop. I love these things, I could eat them all day long. For my birthday this year I want a brand new freezer so I can eat these and only these every day.

Yogurt, Jam, and Granola

What the heck am I doing, this is some kind of healthy treat! I might actually be improving my health by eating this, and worst of all I'm endorsing it on Candy Critic. Well I'm not really "endorsing" it because it's not the best frozen treat I've ever had. I could do without the granola in particular. It's also a little bit bitter, seeing as my sweet tooth throbs, maybe that's why I don't like it. I do have to say though, for a "good for me" type treat it's pretty tasty, well it beats out celery anyways.

Jell-O and Fruit

I'd never thought of freezing Jell-O until someone, on My Space I think, suggest that I try freezing a little Jell-O with some fruit. Well person I can't remember, you are a genius, this is an awesome snack. It's simple, tasty, and the texture is out of this world. I thought maybe it would have been too jiggly, but it wasn't. It was smooth and fruity, just right. I was also sure to use a canned fruit salad mix so the chucks where nice and small, and didn't dominate one bite. The only problem with the fruit is they all floated at the top so they where kind of stuck together. It may have been nicer to have the fruit dispersed but to be honest the Jell-O on it's own was pretty good.

I think this might be my new favourite homemade frozen treat.

Just Juice

Maybe I shouldn't have saved this one for last, because it really doesn't hold up at all. Sure it taste pretty good (lemonade), and sure it's simple, but maybe I'm just craving a little something extra. I guess the lesson learned is that cool treats don't have to be simple, get up and toss something a little different in your Popsicle mold tray thing. Sure it takes a little more work, but it's worth it I assure you. Having said that if you're lazy, a plain Popsicle is better than a kick in the pants.

CC

No comments: